DIY Temporary Paint technique for a Party Tablescape

This is the technique that I use for temporary paint on glass dinner plates.  I've shared my St Patrick Day plates (click here) and this pink set for our Easter tablescape (click here) a few years ago.

I have a set of glass plates that I decorate according to whatever party theme I'm working on.  It's cheaper than buying multiple sets of dinnerware and pretty easy to do!  I mix DecoArt Americana Acrylic paints with Sta-Flo liquid starch and sponge the mixture on the back only. I prop each plate on a bowl after painting to dry.
Temporary Glass Painting on plates, Americana Acrylic Paints, DecoArt, Liquid Starch projects, Sta-Flo, original technique by Cindy Rippe, Florals-Family-Faith, Cindy Rippe
Temporary Glass Paint Technique ©Cindy Rippe 2010-2013
It's best to sponge two coats of paint for opaque coverage.  Originally I planned to be really creative with this set and paint white tulips first (still on the back side so it would show first under the glass when the plate was right side up).  That didn't work......they blended away when they got wet again as I started sponging on the pink layers.   For the St. Patrick's Day plates I adhered printed scrapbook paper circles using the liquid starch for the centers. That worked much better.

Temporary Glass Painting on plates, Americana Acrylic Paints, DecoArt, Liquid Starch projects, Sta-Flo, glass painting, original technique by Cindy Rippe, Florals-Family-Faith, Cindy Rippe
1st and 2nd coats of Temporary Glass Paint Technique ©Cindy Rippe 2010-2013
I always let the plates dry overnight before using.  Then clean the front of the plate off with a mild solution of vinegar and water to clean them before setting the table.  There's usually a few finger smudges and sometimes a little paint by the time you're done with all the sponging.  This paint technique is durable when dry for handling and stacking the plates and pretty easy to clean off after the party.  I soak the plates in warm dishwater for a few minutes and wipe the paint off using a paper towels. (You don't want the paint to go down the drain, it's kind of stretchy plastic when it softens in the water.  It is acrylic paint remember?)  I think this is a really fun project and adds a special touch to a party.



Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.  Mary Lou Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and appreciate that you are taking the time to visit. Note: All comments are moderated and will be reviewed before posting so they might not show up immediately. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...