Mixed Media, Milk and Cookies


When I saw all the Pink and Red Valentine Flowers today at the store I was reminded of the year I created an untraditional Valentine's Day Tablescape. Thought you might enjoy a "flash from the past". Originally posted in my Art in Entertaining Blog.

Mixed Media, Altered Art, milk and cookies, Valentine's Day, Daffodil painting, tablescape, Cindy Rippe
Valentine Daffodil Love - Mixed Media Book tablescape for Milk and Cookies ©CindyRippe2011-13

Well...who says that a Valentine's Day Tablescape needs to include Pink and Red?  I was feeling desperate for a touch of Spring after our trip to Sid's Greenhouse and pulled out my Daffodil Altered Book.  I created the design one year after seeing a few of my daffodils "kissing" between the fence in the yard.

Mixed Media, Altered Art, milk and cookies, Valentine's Day, Daffodil painting, tablescape, Cindy Rippe
Closeups of the steps to create the book ©CindyRippe2011-13
I glued several pages together and cut out heart shapes with a craft knife.  1. Rubber stamped letters on a sheet of clear acetate is glued between the pages.  2. The back side of the large heart showing the pages of the book.  3. The daffodil sketch was painted with water color, colored pencil and inked lines. A few pieces of Scrapbook paper, my garden statue photo, ribbon and a tassel decorate the rest of the piece.  It's designed to sit on an easel which works out nicely for a tablescape centerpiece. I wanted to tie the napkin with raffia but didn't have any so I improvised with embroidery floss.

Mixed Media, Altered Art, milk and cookies, Valentine's Day, Daffodil painting, tablescape, Cindy Rippe
Daffodil Love - Altered Book with Mixed Media Daffodil painting ©CindyRippe2013


Napkin Ring made of embroidery floss, Mixed Media, Altered Art, milk and cookies, Valentine's Day, Daffodil painting, tablescape, Cindy Rippe
Embroidery Floss for the Napkin Holder ©CindyRippe2011-13
1. Accordion fold the napkin. 2. DMC brand embrodery floss. 3. Spread the skein of floss into a circle.   4. Slip it on to the end of the folded napkin.  5. Twist and wrap it around one more time. 6. Adjust the threads if needed. 7. Tuck a few flowers into the floss napkin ring.

Mixed Media, Altered Art, milk and Toll House cookies, Valentine's Day, Daffodil painting, tablescape, Cindy Rippe
Milk and Cookies ©CindyRippe 2011-13
I can't forget the cookies!  They are made using the Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe but I used Peanut Butter chips and Mini Chocolate Chips mixed together.  "Deelicious!" as Isabella would say.

Oh...for those of you that can't imagine a Valentine's Day Tablescape without pink I found out that there are several varieties of Pink Daffodils.  Who knew??

Pink Daffodils, Valentines Day, alternate to yellow daffodils
Daffodil 'Chromacolor'
Baking cookies is comforting, and cookies are the sweetest little bit of comfort food. They are very bite-sized and personal.   Sandra Lee

2 comments:

  1. That is so unique and lovely, Cindy!! Its perfect! I want those pink and white daffy's please!! PINKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!! :-D ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to look for the pink bulbs too Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and appreciate that you are taking the time to visit. Note: All comments are moderated and will be reviewed before posting so they might not show up immediately. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...