Vintage Mixed Media - Paper Dolls

While waiting for my Mom to get her hair cut the other day at Cindy's this image caught my eye.  I've seen it for years, and we've talked about it, but that day it just hit me.  This is vintage Mixed Media!

There is currently a huge trend for creating mixed media artwork and art journals.  Mixed Media is, simply put, layering and altering different art mediums to create something new. Fun, no, REALLY fun, but not really new.  I'm sure I could find many different examples but isn't this picture from the 1950s adorable?  Cindy's Mom bought it at a garage sale and they added the hair (from Cindy's Mom and Mother in Law - remember she's a hairdresser) and then reframed it.

So.... I was thinking....this could be a great project for saving a child's curls from their first haircut, fabric from a special baby outfit, baby jewelry and more?  This one has vintage fabric, lace, buttons, string for the shoe laces, the little gold cross and flowers, along with the curls that Cindy added.  It would make a great gift for that special child in your life. Or maybe even a way to use some of those little things you've saved in a box.

I loved playing with paper dolls as a child and I wish I would have made fabric clothes for my dolls but this image brings back many happy memories.  Maybe that's one of the reasons I like mixing and layering mediums as I create new artwork today.  Like Tom Robbin's said, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and appreciate that you are taking the time to visit. Note: All comments are moderated and will be reviewed before posting so they might not show up immediately. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...