The Amaryllis and Primrose - Friends in the Winter Window

amaryllis, primrose, winter windowsill, growing flowers in the winter, Cindy Rippe
February - Amaryllis and Primrose in my kitchen window ©CindyRippe2013
This is the little primrose plant that I photographed yesterday for February's Flower of the Month.  Purchased at the grocery store, it shares the windowsill with my amaryllis plant, "Blossom Peacock".  I'm partial to white and pink flowers, just in case you haven't figured that out yet, and the little white primrose plant is a perfect fit for one of my cereal bowls.
 
I'm pretty sure this amaryllis bulb was mislabeled, which seems to be my luck with them lately.  Last year it was the Surprise Red Amaryllis.  The Blossom Peacock flower is supposed to be have multiple petals and looks more pink in the photos on the tag and on a website that I found. 
Blossom Peacock Amaryllis, Pink multi petaled amaryllis, flowering bulbs, Park Seed, growing flowers in the winter
Blossom Peacock Amaryllis - source: Park Seed
"Like a magnficent peacock's tail unfolding, these huge, petal-packed double blooms are astounding in both size and color! Boasting 15 to 18 petals, they offer layer after layer -- bloom within bloom -- of stunning color.....Each petal has a white background richly overlaid with red and rose tones. The red outlines the eges, shading to rose toward the center. A large white stripe bisects each petal right down the middle, for a symmetrical, neat effect you will just love."

The universe knows that I'm in need of more color I think.  It's sneaking it into my life a little at a time!  No matter what the color is I really enjoy the changing beauty each day. What color flower is your favorite?

I hope some day to meet God, because I want to thank Him for the flowers. Robert Brault.com

2 comments:

  1. How do you get flowers to keep flowering in the winter? Mine never do - the foliage is OK but they don't develop flowers. Could the Wisconsin winters be too cold and cloudy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do have a few of my garden geraniums blooming in the basement under grow lights, I bought the amaryllis bulb at Christmas and planted it a few weeks ago. I bought the primrose already blooming about a week ago at the Jewel grocery store. I have kept primrose and gloxinia plants blooming for 4 - 6 weeks every winter. Cheaper than buying cut flowers :) My house is usually pretty cool too. Maybe the lower temp helps.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and appreciate that you are taking the time to visit. Note: All comments are moderated and will be reviewed before posting so they might not show up immediately. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...