Sketching in Color - Daily Devotional Experiment




Cindy Rippe - Daily Guidepost Devotions - Botanical Sketches


My Mother-in-Law, Alice, gives us a Guidepost Daily Devotion Book each year for Christmas.  I look forward to the Bible verse, the story that accompanies it and a prayer each day.  Of course, I can't say that I've read it daily, especially in past years. Life can get hectic at times around here. I find myself catching up, sometimes a week or more at a time, but it gives me a moment to pause and think about my blessings.

A few years ago I realized that I wanted to do more than just read the story so I set a goal for myself.  Each day (again sometimes I had to catch up) I wrote a note on the page.  The notes contained my thoughts about the verse of the day, the story, or just what was happening to me that day.  Maybe one day I'll go back to read it, maybe not.  I was just happy that I completed that goal and felt that I got a little more from the inspiration on each page.

This year, as part of my goal to sketch more often and allow myself to be creative I've decided to use the pages of the book as a Botanical Journal after I've read each devotion.  I don't have the 2012 book yet (just a mix up in shipping) but while I wait I've been experimenting with a previous edition.  There were a few problems to overcome but I think I have it figured out now.

This one is with pen and ink with watercolor. I would have added a layer of colored pencils but I don't have them with me today. I look forward to using mixed media techniques, to be inspired by the Word, and to sketch a year of flowers. 

'Tis my faith that every flower enjoys the air it breathes!
~William Wordsworth




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and appreciate that you are taking the time to visit. Note: All comments are moderated and will be reviewed before posting so they might not show up immediately. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...